On June 6, Osaka Prefectural Police announced that 31 men and women were between 16 and 20 years old among them was a 17-year-old resident of Osaka Prefecture, sent to Sakai Police Station of Osaka District Procuratorate on suspicion of violating traffic law (dangerous joint actions, etc.) to recklessly drive 19 motorcycles.
According to the prefectural police, all of them confessed to the charges and some of the 31 explained that they were influenced by Tokyo Revengers anime., based on a popular manga in which the main character must join a group of criminals and bikes to save his girlfriend. «It was like in the anime, scary but fun», Said one of the curators.
The suspect group allegedly set up a reckless convoy route around 2:50 a.m. on June 6 on Route 26 in Hou-Nishi-machi in Sakai city, stretching along several lanes as a group for about a kilometer and ignoring red traffic lights. The 31 were mostly high school students, organized through social media and in other ways.
The news hit the comment boards in Japan, where it prompted comments such as:
- «Media favorite franchise influence».
- «they were too stupid».
- «Did they imitate the anime? It is noted that the gang culture is already declining or practically gone».
- «You might think the otaku is making bitter excuses, but this is not the fault of the anime, but of these guys who were influenced by strange winds».
- «Tokyo Reveners have a negative impact on young people and the series should be suspended. These may be the headlines in the coming days.».
- «The impact of television seems to be greater than previously thought».
- «The Tokyo Manji Revengers are a biker gang, but they are rarely seen riding as a group, with only trusted friends. It’s more of a power struggle to get to the top».
Font: Otakomu || Tokyo avengers
© 2020-2022 The Sankei Shimbun. All rights reserved.